Skip to Content
Call Us Today! 312-436-0638

What Is Illinois’ Armed Habitual Criminal Law?

Illinois has some strict firearm laws concerning individuals with criminal histories. If a person was convicted of certain types of crimes, they are prohibited from receiving, possessing, transferring or selling a firearm. Being caught with a gun could result in decades of prison time, which can dramatically affect their life and future. A criminal record can make it challenging to find a job, get a place to live, or even enroll in school.

Armed Habitual Criminal Previous Conviction Offenses

An armed habitual criminal is a person who was convicted of two or more specific crimes in the past.

These offenses include the following:

  • Forcible felony
  • Unlawful use of a weapon by a felon
  • Aggravated illegal use of a firearm
  • Aggravated discharge of a gun
  • Vehicular hijacking
  • Aggravated vehicular hijacking
  • Aggravated child battery
  • Intimidation
  • Aggravated intimidation
  • Gunrunning
  • Home invasion
  • Aggravated battery with a firearm
  • Controlled Substances Act or Cannabis Control Act violation that is a Class 3 or higher felony

Unlawful Possession of a Firearm Penalties

Generally, if a person has a gun when they shouldn’t, they could be charged with a Class 4 felony. The penalties for this level of offense include up to 6 years in prison (if an extended sentence is ordered) and up to $25,000 in fines.

However, if a person is considered a “habitual criminal” and unlawfully possesses a gun, they could be facing increased punishments. This offense is charged as a Class X felony, which is the most severe in the state. If convicted, the individual could spend 6 to 30 years in prison. Additionally, they may not be eligible for probation.

Speak with the Law Office of Steven Fine During a Free Consultation

If you were charged with a weapons offense, drug crime, or another felony, it is essential to have a lawyer to fight on your behalf. Not only could a conviction result in severe punishments, but the judgment will stay on your criminal record and may be used to increase sentencing if you are charged with an offense in the future. Our attorney will provide tenacious representation to prevent that from happening and will work toward getting charges reduced or dropped.

See what 20+ years of experience can do for you by calling us at (312) 436-0638 or contacting us online.